Malva Pudding , Stieviewondertours South- Africa
• 220 gr icing sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 tablespoon of apricot jam
• 175 gr flour
• ½ coffee spoon bicarbonate (call them bicarbonate or soda here)
• ¼ coffee spoon of salt
• 2 tablespoon of butter, plus some extra for greasing
• 1 tablespoon of vinegar
• 125 ml of milk
Ingredients for the sauce
• 250 ml of cream
• 115g butter
• 50g sugar (may be some vanilla sugar)
• 125 ml of sherry
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees
2. Mix the icing sugar, eggs and apricot jam in a large mixing bowl and mix until the mixture is pale and fluffy
3. In another bowl, strain the flour and baking soda and mix well.
4. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat, add the vinegar and milk and stir until well combined
5. Add the dry ingredients (step 3) to the mixture from step 2 and mix well. Add this mixture to mixture in step 4 and stir until you have a smooth batter
6. Grease a refractory dish with some butter and add the batter to the dish
7. Put in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes. If you put a stick in it, it should come out "clean"
1. Mix all ingredients in a saucepan over low heat and stir until the butter has melted, the sugar has dissolved and the sauce is heated.
If you take the "cake" out of the oven, it is best to make a few holes with a fork, so that the sauce can penetrate well and the cake becomes nice and juicy.
Best served with crème anglaise